Tuesday, February 23, 2016

In The Beginning...

Before we get to the heart of this post I wanted to show an update on the gladiator dude.





Everything's at least been base coated now and is ready for the small details. He should be finished very soon.

Now for the main point of this post... Around February 20ish 2011 I decided that I wanted to paint some figures that came with the board game Wiz-War. I had never painted anything before so I really had no idea what I was doing. I tried looking things up online, but said fuck it and jumped right in. I went to a craft store, picked up some really crappy size 0 synthetic brushes, only the cheapest would do, and a Reeves acrylic paint starter set. The paint set didn't come with a brown, flesh color, orange, purple or grey so I had to mix those myself. I also didn't know about thinning your paints, things got pretty sloppy. So now, on the 5th anniversary of my starting to paint I'll show you the first things I ever put a brush too:




On the monsters you may notice some very dark brown in the recesses, before started them I had learned about dipping. However, the only varnish I had was about 20 years old and no longer good, but I used it anyway. The results speak for themselves.

About a month later I got another game with minis, Dungeon Run, and wanted to paint them too. By this time I learned that you should thin your paints. I also learned about washes, but I didn't have any so I just thinned down some black paint and went with it. I still didn't have all the colors I mentioned above, but I did pick up my first metallic paints, a gold and silver.



By May of 2011 I decided I wanted to get into wargaming, half because I wanted to play and half because all the things I could paint. I bought an Army Painter starter set, finally got some brown, orange, purple, flesh and washes, and Assault on Black Reach. The first thing I painted was the Dreadnought:


And that was the start of my new hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment